Can you perform when it matters most?
Do you have what it takes to be the best?
Enter the Locker Room
The Athlete Experience Programme is at the heart of the 2016 School Games seeking to engage and inspire young athletes to understand the wider experience and challenges of competing at the highest level within a multi-sport environment. Structured around competition and training it will provide a learning experience beyond their sport that will help prepare for sporting success at major multi-sport events in the future and highlight the components that create a performance athlete’s eco-system.
The offer aims to inspire, enthuse and motivate young athletes about moving to the next level in their sporting journey and achieving their potential.
A team of Athlete Mentors – School Games and Loughborough Sport Alumni – have been selected based on their credentials as athletes (they have all competed at the highest level in their sport) and their ability to mentor who will support the young athletes through sharing their experiences.
There will be a range of activities for athletes to participate in whilst at the games which aim to showcase what it is like at a multi-sport event and to enhance their wider experience at the games and how to be the best they can be. Athletes can expect to:
- Sleep, eat and relax in the Athletes Village
- Get an insight into what makes a Performance Athlete
- Build team morale at the Opening Ceremony
- Question elite athletes on their journey and how they got there
- Get to know each other in the Athlete Lounge
- Understand the values and benefits of clean sport
- Try something new in the cultural workshops
- Make the right decision when it comes to nutrition, sleep, and your performance lifestyle
And that’s just a taste of what’s to come! By understanding the distractions that come with large multi-sport events, and getting an insight into an elite training system, athletes will be supported to make and reflect on their own performance choices and most of all, understand the reasoning and rationale behind them.